Planet Earth: Daabon’s silent sustainability stakeholder
When thinking about the Daabon Group, quality, certifications, and agriculture might come to mind. Rooted in agriculture and fueled by a deep love for the land, the Daabon Group has focused on healing the planet since day one—a commitment evident in every aspect of the business.
Daabon’s unwavering dedication to excellence and transparency has forged a reputation where its name is equivalent to quality and staunch environmental advocacy. Daabon’s consistent efforts in environmental preservation have positioned it as a top-tier entity in transparency rankings among sustainable palm companies globally.
Shift to Planetary Health:
Knowing that their environmental efforts will only reach their full potential if they address our planet’s urgent challenges, Daabon has shifted its focus to the earth itself, expanding upon existing strategies and embracing a new frontier: going from leaders in agriculture to incorporating and developing the concept of planetary health. This has now become a cornerstone of the brand’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) initiatives.
Businesses Taking a Stand:
Daabon believes that environmental degradation can only be reversed if businesses step up and lead the way. They aim to cease contributing to environmental degradation and actively improve the health of the earth’s native ecosystems and the planet.
As a result, the company has begun incorporating the concept of planetary health into all aspects of its business, viewing its expansive list of sustainability certifications, including USDA Organic, Fair Trade Certified, Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) certified, Non-GMO Project Verified and Regenerative Organic (ROC™) Gold level certified, not as mere goals but as an evolving path to healing and revitalizing the planet.
Letting the Planet Lead the Way:
Using the framework of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG), the group builds upon its existing strategies to create lasting change for planetary health throughout the business.
- Daabon has been fully carbon-neutral across every aspect of its global production processes since 2015. In 2019, Daabon became the first company in Latin America to sign The Climate Pledge, co-founded by Amazon, asking signatories to be net-zero by 2040—10 years ahead of the Paris Agreement. Currently, Daabon is aiming for net-zero carbon emissions by 2030.
- Prioritizing water and soil management, Daabon refrains from using toxic pesticides for farming, helping keep nearby waterways clean. Wastewater is captured and treated to become renewable biofuel for Daabon’s production mills.
- Daabon utilizes reusable energy sources, with its primary palm oil mill in Colombia featuring a methane recapture system, creating a clean biofuel from the mill’s wastewater, purifying the water and establishing a new, green energy source.
- Daabon has been proudly certified by Fair Trade USA since 2016, aiming to eliminate poverty and enable sustainable development for farmers, workers, their families and communities worldwide.
- Establishing “Las Alianzas” (The Alliances) in 1999, Daabon initiated a partnership program for peace and prosperity in their farming communities. As the first company in Colombia to commit to purchasing sustainable palm oil from small landholders and family farms, Daabon provides communities with full support in both the growing process and the market.
- Daabon’s supply chain is vertically integrated, guaranteeing product and supply chain transparency from soil to market. This transparency is an integral part of the group’s commitment to responsible business conduct.
Daabon’s sustainability strategy is crafted around the concept of planetary health, shaping a future where the planet thrives, communities flourish, and the Daabon Group continues to make a positive impact globally.